Click here for a full report on the 2015 FASD Conference
Participants included Rotarians from the Kimberley South Club as well as our sister club, the Rotary Club of Kimberley (including the President and Secretary). There was the President and his wife from the Rotary Club of Beaufort West, Rotarians from the Rotary Club of Colesberg , as well as Rotarians from the Rotary Club of Carroll Creek in Mayland, USA - a very warm welcome to Jonathan Warner and Mary Nagle.
In the build up to the conference we have been working closely with a range of professionals from government, including the Departments of Health, Education and Social Development.
Participants included managers, nurses, social workers, psychologists, therapists, doctors and others.
From the non-government organisations we have forged strong links, indeed partnerships, with
the Foundation for Alcohol Related Research (FARR) and FASfacts, both of who spoke at the conference. The Hantam Community Education Trust and Grassroots Soccer who also both presented. Other participants included representatives of the Helen Bishop Home, the National Council for Persons with Physical Disability, the Association for Persons with disabilities, the Society for Mental Health Care, the Indigo Theatre Company, and lastly, but by no means least, we have community members and business people attending in their personal capacity.
Programme Director was Mr Richard Jones
- Registration With refreshments (plus time to walk around the gallery)
- Welcome - Dr Meldrick Booysen, Rotarian
- Overview of FASD in the Northern Cape - Ms Mercia Fani, Programme Manager, Dept. of Social Development
- Interactive theatre presentation - “TakeAWAY” Media For Change
- Keynote address: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The Reality in the Northern Cape Province - Prof Denis Viljoen, Chairperon of FARR
- Literature Review: Psychosocial Risk Factors for Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancies - Ms Bettina Daubermann, Clinical Psychologist and Rotarian
- The BOB experiential learning program - Mr Francois Grobbelaar, CEO & Founder of FASfacts
- A wide-ranging educational and developmental project in rural Hantam Karoo - Ms Lesley Osler, Hantam Community Education Trust
- Educate, Inspire, Mobilise: Stop FASD through the use of sports programmes - Mr Thuso Jones, Grassroot Soccer education specialist
- Future plans - Mr Jonathan Warner & Ms Mary Nagle, Rotarians and HiSA
- Discussion, Q&A - Facilitated by Ms Mercia Fani
- Vote of thanks - Ms Johanna Snyman, President of the Rotary Club of Kimberley South